The following is a list of basic requirements that has been established by the Little Elm Independent School District and the Texas Education Agency. These requirements must be met and maintained to be eligible for participation in the program.
1. The purpose of the program is to accommodate students who are making a serious effort to develop high level capabilities and to allow them to be involved in an off campus program that provides training exceeding that offered in the school district.
2. Off-Campus physical activity programs will be approved for only those students who have been strongly recommended by qualified instructors.
3. Only those students in grades six (6) through twelve (12) will be eligible for consideration for the off-campus program. No students in elementary school will be considered for the off-campus program.
4. Students applying for Off-Campus Physical Education will be considered under two (2) categories.
CATEGORY ONE: These programs involve a minimum of fifteen (15) hours per week of highly intense, professionally supervised training. Students qualifying at this level may be dismissed from school one period per day for such participation.
CATEGORY TWO: These programs are to be of high quality, well supervised by appropriately trained instructors, and consisting of a minimum of five (5) hours per week. Students certified to participate at this level MAY NOT be dismissed from any part of the regular school day.
Please Note: High School students participating in either category may receive a maximum of one half credit per semester.
5. The student must participate a minimum of four (4) days during the week (Monday through Friday) plus an additional day that may fall on either the weekend or during the week. All such participation must always be under the direct supervision of the instructor.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q How many days a week must a student be enrolled in the qualified activity?
A A student must be enrolled in his/her supervised activity for 5 days a week. The student must participate a minimum of four (4) days during the week (Monday through Friday) plus one (1) additional day that may fall on either the weekend or during the week for a total of five (5) days per week.
Q How many hours must a student be in practice every day?
A The number of hours must add up to 5 or 15 hours depending upon the requested category. The number of hours must be spread over 5 days a week. The student must participate a minimum of four (4) days during the week (Monday through Friday) plus one (1) additional day that may fall on either the weekend or during the week for a total of five (5) days per week.
Q Can an elementary student be enrolled in off campus PE?
A No, the program is only open to students in grades 6-12.
Q Will my child automatically be scheduled into Off Campus PE if they meet the sport and time requirements?
A Even though a student might meet the sport and time requirement to participate in the Off Campus PE program, the campus will need to determine if they can create a schedule to accommodate the Off Campus PE request.
Q Who changes the student’s schedule to reflect Off Campus PE?
A After the application is approved by Curriculum and Learning Services, the counselor at the student's home campus will change his/her schedule, in the event they can create a schedule to accommodate the request, to reflect off campus PE.
- area to be completed by the student/parent
- area to be read and completed by parent/guardian and student
- area to be completed and signed by the facility instructor
- general guidelines for Off-Campus Physical Education
1. Print and complete application.
2. Upon completion, the application should be submitted to your campus counselor.
3. After the application is reviewed, a confirmation letter to parents will be sent out. A report will be sent to all counselors listing all approved OCPE students. At that time the counselors will put OCPE on the student’s schedule.
4. Off-campus physical education will not be on student's schedule until approval from Curriculum and Learning Services.
5. Parents and students need to confirm that OCPE is on the student’s schedule at the beginning of each semester and the student is receiving a grade for each six weeks.
6. OCPE will not show up on schedules for students enrolled in Category 2. The grade will be posted to the student's transcript at the end of each semester enrolled. If you have any questions, please check with your school counselor.
7. A new OCPE application must be submitted each school year.