Mathematics at Little Elm ISD
Math is a community endeavor. A minds-on math workshop is a learning experience in which students are challenged to grapple with their thinking and understanding about math in light of new information and challenges, to make meaning for themselves.
Middle School & High School
TI-Nspire CX Handheld is recommended and used in middle school courses listed below and all high school math courses.
6th Grade Compacted Math
7th Grade Advanced Math
8th Grade Math
The "New" Math...
Have you heard anyone say, "What's up with this NEW math?" or "This isn't the way we learned math back in the day!"
Well, the "new" math isn't really new at all. The focus has simply shifted from memorizing a traditional algorithm to allowing students to "think" their way through a problem. This research-based method integrates mental math strategies and allows students choice and voice in how they would like to solve a problem. Can you imagine being able to choose how you would have liked to solve a mathematical problem when you were in school? There may still be one right answer but there are many ways to get there... and the journey keeps kids engaged!
The math standards call for our students to "justify, explain, extend their learning, and make connections." There is no doubt this is a different process that what you may have learned. But then again, so are the times. Our modern world requires creativity, out of the box thinking, and innovation! The traditional algorithms do not serve our students and their current reality, and do not challenge their thinking.
So the next time you sit down with your kiddo to work out some math, focus on the journey and remember, the math isn't new, just all the ways to get there!
Need Help Picking Your Secondary Math Class?
Math Secondary Pathways:
In this pathway, students will learn grade level material and take the corresponding STAAR during their 6th, 7th, and 8th grade years. When they enter high school, each student is required to take Algebra I in 9th grade and Geometry in 10th grade. They can choose what math courses they would like to enroll in, based on prerequisite courses, during their 11th and 12th grade years.
In this pathway, students in 6th grade will enroll in 6th Grade Pre-AP (100% 6th TEKS and 60% 7th Grade TEKS) and take the 6th grade STAAR. During their 7th grade year, they will enroll in 7th Grade Pre-AP (remaining 40% 7th TEKS and 100% 8th Grade TEKS) and take the 8th grade STAAR. During their 8th grade year, they will enroll in Algebra I Pre-AP and take the Algebra I EOC at the end of the year. This is a high school credited course. When they enter high school, each student is expected to enroll in Geometry Pre-AP during 9th grade. They can choose which math courses they would like to enroll in, based on prerequisite courses, during their 10th, 11th, and 12th grade years.
In this pathway, students in 6th grade will be invited to enroll in the 6th Grade Compacted Math course. This course has a preceding summer course that covers 100% of the 6th Grade TEKS. During their 6th Grade year, they will enroll in Compacted Math (100% of the 7th grade TEKS and 100% of the 8th Grade TEKS) and take the 8th Grade STAAR at the end of the year. During their 7th grade year, they will enroll in Algebra I Pre-AP and take the Algebra I EOC at the end of the year. This is a high school credited course. During their 8th grade year, they will enroll in Geometry Pre-AP. This is a high school credited course. When they enter high school, each student will have options for math courses, based on prerequisites, during their 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grade years.
STEM & Robotics
The Various Applications of Robots
Leg and Motion Control Design Principles
Automotive Design Principles for Future Engineers & Robotics Teams
Flow Rigs for Fluid Dynamics and Heat Transfer
Karakuri and the Concept of Sociable Robots
How To Build A Robot From Scratch
How To Store Hobbies (incl. technical components)
Guide to Protecting Your Hobbies