Purchase Order Procedures
State law requires all school districts to process an authorized purchase order (PO) prior to placing an order committing district managed funds. A purchase order is not authorized until it is approved by the Assistant Superintendent, Finance and Operations and/or Superintendent.
Please talk to the campus secretary and principal before making any purchases. The District will NOT be responsible for any orders placed before a PO has been approved. If you purchase supplies before obtaining a LE ISD purchase order, you will NOT be reimbursed nor will the District assume responsibility for the unauthorized purchase.
Business Services processes purchase orders in a timely manner. PO’s will be printed for signatures once a day.
The purchasing process includes many steps:
- The campus secretary completes a Purchase Order Form (PO) with approved vendor information, desired quantity and prices.
- The campus principal or department director reviews, assigns an expenditure account code number(s) and approves through TxEIS the PO(s) before submitting them to the Business Services.
- After the Assistant Superintendent, Finance and Operations or Superintendent approves the PO, a signed copy of the purchase order which will be assigned a number on it is returned to the campus &/or department.
- The campus or department makes a copy of the purchase order for their files and sends a copy of the purchase order to the vendor.
- In most cases, the vendor will ship the items to the campus.
- A campus employee will inspect the shipment for damage and accuracy.
- Is any of the merchandise damaged? If so, report this to the company/vendor immediately.
- Are all the items on the packing slip in the package? If not, report this to the company/vendor immediately.
- Does the packing slip or merchandise match the purchase order? If not, contact the company/vendor immediately.
- If &/or when the shipment is complete; fill in the Invoice# and the amount needing to be paid on the lines provided.
- Sign the “Received by” line with your name and the date you received the merchandise and forward the PO along with the Invoice to Business Services.
- Business Services will pay the vendor after obtaining the PO stamped “received” and an accurate vendor invoice.
*An original invoice is usually shipped from the company/vendor directly to Business Services at the same time the merchandise is shipped. If any invoices are received at the campus &/or department, they should be forwarded to Business Services immediately. They are used to pay the bill once we have received the PO with a signature on the “Received by” line.