2021-2022 Dual Language Program
Are you interested in our dual language program?Our Dual-Language Program is a two-way educational model that promotes high academic achievement, second language development, and cross-cultural understanding for all students. A balance of native English speakers and native Spanish speakers will be enrolled in the program.
The program is offered for incoming kindergarten students by application ONLY. It is housed at three elementary campuses:
Interested parents will need to watch the dual language parent information presentation and complete an application (see the timeline below). Only students residing in Little Elm ISD zoning will be allowed.
- BRENT Elementary for students zoned for Brent and Lakeview,
- HACKBERRY Elementary for students zoned for Hackberry and Prestwick, and
- OAK POINT Elementary for students zoned for Oak Point and Chavez.
- The interest form must be submitted by Sunday, April 18 at 11:59 p.m.
- The parent meeting presentation will be emailed to parents beginning Monday, March 29
- The Dual Language Program Application will be emailed to parents on Monday, April 19
English Language Learners
An English language learner is defined as “A person who is in the process of acquiring English and has another language as the first native language” §89.1201 policy. The state requires school districts to ensure an equal educational opportunity for every student identified as an English language learner as stated in §89.1201 policy. Both Bilingual Education and ESL programs are state approved.
The process of identification begins with the Home Language Survey parents fill out the first year the student is in U.S. schools. If parents respond that a language other than English is spoken at home, the district is required to evaluate the level of English language proficiency of the student. If the other language spoken is Spanish, our district also evaluates the Spanish language proficiency of the student. This evaluation will determine if the student qualifies for dual language as a Spanish speaker or the ESL program.
Little Elm ISD offers English as a Second Language and Dual Language for English Language Learners.
English as a Second Language
The English as a Second Language program (ESL) is known for providing content and language instruction in English only. Little Elm ISD offers this program at all of our campuses.
One-Way Dual Language (sometimes called Bilingual)
This is a dual language immersion program where native Spanish speakers receive content and language instruction in English and Spanish. Currently, this program is offered in two of our K-5 campuses: Brent Elementary and Oak Point Elementary.
Two-Way Dual Language
This is a dual language immersion program where native Spanish speakers and native English speakers receive content and language instruction in English and Spanish. Currently, this program is offered in three of our K-5 campuses: Brent Elementary, Hackberry Elementary, and Oak Point Elementary.
- Dual Language Program, Questions and Answers: What Does Research Say?
- Programa de doble immersión 10 preguntas y respuestas: ¿Qué dice la investigación?
- Why the Dual Language Immersion Approach Will Change Achievement in American Public Schools
- New Study Shows Benefits of Two-Way, Dual Language Education
- Dual Language Parent Meetings Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Reuniones para padres interesados en el programa de doble inmersión Preguntas más frecuentes (FAQ)
- Video: Dual Language Program at LEISD
- Video del programa de doble inmersión en el distrito escolar de Little Elm