English Language Learners
An English language learner is defined as “A person who is in the process of acquiring English and has another language as the first native language” §89.1201 policy. The state requires school districts to ensure an equal educational opportunity for every student identified as an English language learner as stated in §89.1201 policy. Both Bilingual Education and ESL programs are state approved.
The process of identification begins with the Home Language Survey parents fill out the first year the student is in U.S. schools. If parents respond that a language other than English is spoken at home, the district is required to evaluate the level of English language proficiency of the student. If the other language spoken is Spanish, our district also evaluates the Spanish language proficiency of the student. This evaluation will determine if the student qualifies for dual language as a Spanish speaker or the ESL program.
Little Elm ISD offers the following programs for English language learners:
English as a Second Language
The English as a Second Language program (ESL) is known for providing content and language instruction in English only. Little Elm ISD offers this program at all of our campuses.
One-Way Dual Language (sometimes called Bilingual)
This is a dual language immersion program where native Spanish speakers receive content and language instruction in English and Spanish. Currently, this program is offered in two of our K-5 campuses: Brent Elementary and Oak Point Elementary.
Two-Way Dual Language
This is a dual language immersion program where native Spanish speakers and native English speakers receive content and language instruction in English and Spanish. Currently, this program is offered in three of our K-5 campuses: Brent Elementary, Hackberry Elementary, and Oak Point Elementary.
- Dual Language Program, Questions and Answers: What Does Research Say?
- Programa de doble immersión 10 preguntas y respuestas: ¿Qué dice la investigación?
- Why the Dual Language Immersion Approach Will Change Achievement in American Public Schools
- New Study Shows Benefits of Two-Way, Dual Language Education
- Dual Language Parent Meetings Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Reuniones para padres interesados en el programa de doble inmersión Preguntas más frecuentes (FAQ)