There are specific ways parents and others in the community can help ensure campus safety at your school. These include:
- Enter and exit the building through the main entrance when visiting a campus.
- Always sign in at the front office to ensure that parents and other visitors are properly identified.
- Leave entrances and exits locked at all times. Exterior doors should not be propped open.
- Continue to be timely in picking up your child after school and after school functions so as not to leave the child waiting outside for a ride.
- Listen to your local television/radio stations and check the district website for information.
- As soon as possible, the district will activate its emergency call line to place a phone call explaining the situation to you. Please listen carefully to the message. There will be limited personnel available to answer phone calls from parents and phone lines may become overextended. Calling the school will tie up the phone lines and disrupt the flow of vital information between the school and authorities.
- When schools are in lockdown, please do not come to the school. A lockdown is designed to keep the children and staff inside the building away from harm. Entrances to the school are to be kept locked during this time.
- If your child reports to you that a drill took place at his/her campus that day, please take the opportunity to discuss the importance of drills and safety precautions.
- In the event of an emergency, students will be released to their families as soon as it is safe to do so. Local response personnel will determine when it is safe for the schools to begin releasing students. Only an authorized person as noted on the student forms on file in the school office will be able to pick up your child. A drivers license or other form of photo I.D. must be shown before staff can safely release your child. Note that in the event of an emergency, phone calls authorizing a students release to a person other than a parent or name on file will not be accepted.
- If the need arises to implement these safety protocols, cooperating with campus personnel in a calm manner will ensure safe and timely release for students.
Please notify your child's campus office staff with any changes in address or phone number. We want to keep our parents informed of any emergency situations.